FICs Education was set up in February 2022 to facilitate educational courses, conferences and career days for people working in the fitness industry in Perth, W.A.
“I went looking for a conference to attend when I got back to Perth and realised there hadn’t been one here since 2015!
With Covid and the W.A. borders still closed and our industry professionals having been hit so hard, it seemed like an important time to have conferences and get togethers happening on the local scene.
I pitched the idea to the locals and there was enough support for me to think we give it a whirl” Broni McSweeney
While I may have set FICs up my hope is that others are keen to come on board and help build on the idea and help it to fly. If you are interested in being part of the excitement please do get a hold of me email@example.com.
This is a living document and will likely change as others come on board to contribute their ideas and fill these ones out a bit more, but as of today, this is how I perceive the role of FICs Education and some of the details of how I’d like to see it roll.
- To provide outstanding ongoing educational experiences and opportunities to those working in this industry in W.A.; to connect us all and strengthens us as individuals and as a group, which ultimately will help improve the health and fitness of all those we work with.
- FICs Education aims to be accessible to all activity providers whether they work as volunteers or paid professionals, and whether they are qualified or studying to become qualified.
- With the help of funding and sponsorship it is hoped that entry fees will be kept to a minimum.
- We aim to always use wheelchair accessible venues.
- The aim is to use experts from diverse but complimentary fields to present to our industry. By way of example, over 200 people presented at the workshops I ran in Aotearoa including physiotherapists, dietitians, sport doctors, podiatrists, strength and conditioning coaches, running coaches, mental performance coaches, chiropractors, massage therapists, Rolfing and reiki therapists; teachers/group fitness instructors of: yoga, tai chi, boxing, step, martial arts, Pump, aerobics, HIIT, CrossFit, Animal Flow, seniors, youth; Circus performers, dance instructors, speech therapists, singing instructors, exercise physiologists and on the business side of things we had experts in tax, social media, sales and marketing all come in and present.
- In terms of those specifically working with elite athletes the list included the mental conditioning coach for the rugby All Blacks – an 8th Dan, inducted into the martial arts hall of fame; the national Olympic Weightlifting Coach for OWNZ; the sport’s doctor for the Olympic Ski team; dietitian and three time winner of the ‘Longest Day’ Coast-to-Coast Multi-sport race in NZ; the national volleyball coach; the Australasian lightweight boxing champion and coach: four time winner of the squash World Open.
- We also provided space for attendees to take to the stage, a highly successful element which we envisage doing again in Perth.
- We’re committed to providing environments free of discrimination and harassment, where all individuals are treated with respect and dignity, can contribute fully and have equal opportunities.
AT OUR CORE
- Build a positive team
- Collaborate fearlessly
- Make things happen
- Deliver WOW through service
- Create fun and a little weirdness
- Be adventurous, creative, and open-Minded
- Pursue growth and learning
- Do more with less
Our workshops take place on the unceded lands of the Whadjuk Noongar people, who have been educating and strengthening their communities since time immemorial. We pay our respects to their elders, past and present.